Vander's Thoughts

Vander's Thoughts

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Stuff

I’m realizing that my life is full of stuff. Some old stuff, some new stuff, some good stuff, and some not-so-needed stuff. I have loved stuff since I can remember. I even love watching shows like American Pickers and Pawn Stars because it is about stuff. Stuff is interesting. Every time I get ride of some stuff I eventually replace it with more stuff. Lately I have been asking myself what is it about stuff that makes me want more stuff no matter how much I already have?

What I have concluded is that stuff brings me three things: Security, Comfort and Identity. The quantity of stuff I have makes me feel secure. The quality of stuff I have makes me more comfortable. The price I pay for my stuff determines my identity. Of course what I realize is that although these things are fine to seek, God desires us to seek them in Him and Him alone.

I heard a great story this past week about a teacher asking her class to recite Psalm 23. One girl help up her hand and said that she could do it. She walked to the front of the class took a deep breath and said, “The LORD is my shepherd, He is all I want”. With that she proudly walked back to her seat.

It was a great reminder for me this Christmas, that in Christ I have security, comfort, and an identity that no stuff I can buy or receive can ever compare to.

“But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.” Matthew 6:33

May your Christmas not be so much about seeking stuff as much as it is about seeking Him.

1 comment:

  1. True dat! Our pastor's message last week was about that very thing, and how we focus on the symbols of Christmas but not The Reason for it.

    ReplyDelete