Vander's Thoughts

Vander's Thoughts

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Disciplined Variety

For the past month I have been living in a 5th wheel trailer while I am between homes (keep the trailer trash comments to yourself please). What I have discovered is that life in a trailer lacks variety. Actually life in a trailer becomes very routine. I have been using the same spoon fork plate and bowl for all my meals. I use them and wash them, and use them and wash them again. There is just no need to use any others. In fact every morning and every evening pretty much looks the same because there's not much room to do much else than what I normally do. I'm a loser I know, but I have discovered that using and doing the same thing over and over again isn't a bad thing at all. In fact I have discovered the joy in simplicity and routine.

Now I like new things and new places like anyone else, but somehow there is a belief out there that routine is bad thing. That routine is some sort of trap that we must break free of if you really want to enjoy life. Where did that thinking come from really? In fact the opposite is really true, real life is found in routine. Think about it, if you want to get better at something what are you supposed to do? Do it over and over again. And if you want to get in stronger what are you supposed to do? Lift weights over and over again. Routine is what makes our lives better, but yet somehow we avoid routine because it's boring or ordinary if you lack variety in your life.

God showed us His abilities through the variety we see in this world, but if you want to really live the life that He offers, than you must establish a routine with Him. It's called a discipline and it improves every area of our lives.

"Exercise daily in God—no spiritual flabbiness, please! Workouts in the gymnasium are useful, but a disciplined life in God is far more so, making you fit both today and forever. You can count on this." 1 Timothy 4:8 The Message

So go to a new place for vacation or eat at a new restaurant, but revisit the God of variety everyday to really live.

No comments:

Post a Comment