Vander's Thoughts

Vander's Thoughts

Thursday, December 13, 2012

Carpet

So far I've already gone to my third Christmas party and I still have two on my calendar. If there was ever a virus for White Elephant disease I think I got it. Although I really do think I’m going to enjoy using the Mr. Potato Head Potato peeler I got.

A very inspiring thing that happened in the midst of one of those parties was what my friend said in the middle of hosting one at her home. We were serving dinner and a spill occurred when she embarrassingly said something to the effect of, “Oh well just another stain on our wonderful carpet”. This of course made me look at down and, sad to say, I couldn't disagree with her. Her carpet was thrashed!

Now hear me out before you think I’m some mean spirited carpet snob. The “wonderful” thing about her thrashed carpet was it told a story. A story about what happens in her home. You see my friend is incredibly gracious and is always opening up her home to others. I would have to say that I've probably been over her house more than any other in my two years up here in the Northern California. And every stain, ever spill, and every unique color that isn't supposed to be part of her tan carpet is another chapter in how God uses her to show others what an open home is supposed to be.

One of my favorite pictures of the early church is from Acts 2 where it talks about what happened in the homes of those who followed God:

They followed a daily discipline of worship in the Temple followed by meals at home, every meal a celebration, exuberant and joyful, as they praised God. People in general liked what they saw. Every day their number grew as God added those who were saved.” Acts 2”45-47 (The Message)

As I read this verse and remember my friend’s carpet, I can’t help but realize how God desires to use our homes to further His church. What an awesome privilege. What an awesome responsibility. What “wonderful” stains on our carpet!

So before ask for new carpet this Christmas or complain about the fresh hot chocolate stain that happened last night, let’s celebrate that God wants to use our homes to bring the joy of Christmas into our world. 

Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment